Text Message Tutorial and Using Text to Twitter
Today’s episode is a text message tutorial. I’m going to tell you how to use various services on the Internet to enhance what you can do with simple text messages. And none of these tips require a smart phone. During an emergency or disaster, sometimes text messages are the only thing that can get through. So this episode also applies to people who use smart phones.
Text to Twitter
Did you know that you can use Twitter through plain text messaging? I’ll talk about how to add your phone if you already have a Twitter account on the web. But I’ll also tell you how to start using Twitter directly from your phone. So why would you need Twitter if you can send a text message? Twitter turns regular text messaging into group messaging. You can send out a single message that can be received by multiple people at once and when they reply, everybody gets the reply. Listen to the episode for all the details on how to text to Twitter.
Weather on Your Phone and More
Additionally in this episode I talk about:
- How to receive severe weather alerts on your phone. Including tornado warnings, freeze alerts, extreme heat alerts and more.
- How to search Google by sending a text message.
- How to create and update a blog straight from your phone using just text messages.
- A free service that lets you do things like send a text to an email address, update your Facebook status and much more.
- What “Wireless Emergency Alerts” are and why they are important.
Show Notes / Resources
- If This Then That IFTTT.com
- Wireless Emergency Alerts on Your Mobile Device
- Bonus Links:
I hope you enjoy listening to this text message tutorial. Please leave me comments, like this post and share it with your friends! Thanks for listening.